Thursday, March 31, 2011

My job is the bestest :)

Okay, I know what you're all thinking... How can my job be the bestest when I don't have one?

Well, I feel inspired today, friends. I feel inspired today because now I am going to start substitute teaching. I went to my first meeting for it last Wednesday, and I went back today for orientation. They are still waiting on my background check to come through so as long as I've covered up that first degree murder well enough, I should be in the clear next week. After that, I just get to do what I love and get paid for it.

On my way home today, though, I got to thinking (Scary! I know.) I was thinking how much I think, actually know, I will love my career. I know that I'm not actually a teacher yet and I don't have my own classroom, but when I think about my future, I just get excited. I think of some of my close friends and roommates from college and how they have no idea what they want to do with their lives. Well even though it isn't me, I get stressed out about it. If I was almost 23 years old and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, I would probably just crawl up in a ball and cry. The good thing it, I do know exactly what I want to do. Now it's just the "getting there" part that's difficult.

Well since I'm OCD and a compulsive list maker, I have compiled yet another list for you kiddos today.

Reasons why my job is the bestest (hence the title)

1. I am a 5 year old. I love crayons, markers, paint, colored pencils, stamps, children's books, games, chalkboards, bright colors, glitter... I love it all. I always have. I am 22 years old and use little people (as in young people, not as in midgets) as an excuse to color. I get stressed out when I am coloring a page and they want to "help." Scribbling on my perfectly colored page is not helping!!! My nerves actually get upset at this. I also love projects. It doesn't matter what kind of project, it could be simply making a card or it could be a huge drawn out science fair project (let's be honest-- my mother is the only reason I won in 5th grade). But I love projects, they are just so fun. Since I love projects so much, don't you think I'll make a good teacher. (Here is where you either agree, or leave my blog at once.)

2. My favorite thing when I was little was "playing school". This is so true. I had a chalkboard and a desk and I was never the student. That was my brothers' job. I taught them their alphabet before I knew it myself and I taught them multiplication and division before I could add. As long as I got to write on the chalk board, and they had to listen to me, my life was complete. They really were good big brothers (most of the time). My mom bought me old textbooks from a yard sale and I would line up my stuffed animals and read to them all the time. I played school more than I played house, barbies, or anything else combined. Playing school was by far my favorite. What makes this so cool is that I get to play school for the rest of my life. HOW EXCITING IS THAT?!? (Please be excited. If not for yourself, at least for me)

3. Let's take a look at my grades in college. No lie. I am actually looking at my college transcripts...

College Algebra- D
American History- C
American Government- C
Principles of Biology- C
Real Number System (GAG ME)- D

Not pretty, huh? Well let's look at a few more...

Intro. to Education- A
Child Development- A
Physical Activities for Children- A
Teaching Reading in Elementary School- A
Technology in the Classroom- A
Educational Psychology- A
Teaching Strategies- A
Children's Literature- A
Classroom Management- A
Educational Strategies- A
Student Teaching Elementary- A

Do we see some sort of trend? Every single class that was an "education" class, I made and A. I know good and well that I could have, if I wanted to, done better in some of those other classes, but the point is... they did not interest me. Not one bit. It took all I had to study for 10 minutes before a test. But my education classes? EASY. It just came naturally to me. Now I am not going into teaching because it's easy (that's just a perk) but it does make me pretty excited about it.

4. My Student Teaching Experience. I loved every single day with my Kindergartners and 99% of the days with my sixth graders. I will say this, loud and clear... Sixth grade teachers should get paid wayyyyy more than Kindergarten teachers. Every day that I walked into the Kindergarten classroom, I would have little tiny arms wrapped all around me, hugging me, and telling me good morning. I loved every second of every day spent with them and I still miss them more than I ever thought possible. I loved every single one of them and yes, I had my favorite (shout out to Tristan) but I looked forward to seeing them every single day. I would come home from student teaching, completely worn out, but by the next morning I'd be ready to do it all over again. I would even miss them on the weekends. I had come to this conclusion last semester: If I can work 40 hours a week teaching, not get paid for it, and still look forward to going in every day??? How awesome is my life gonna be! Okay, so sixth grade was a little harder to get excited about it, but I still loved it, enjoyed it, and miss it.

I'm just so excited to have my own classroom, my own students. and my own "big girl teacher desk". I can't wait to inspire students, teach them, and watch them grow. Just excited about my life and needed to share. Hope you enjoyed (if not, why'd you read the whole thing?)

5 comments:

  1. You're so precious and you're going to be the best teacher EVER!

    However, you made me a little sad talking about the people who don't know what they want to do the rest of their life and they're 23. Given, I know what I want to do--I want to be a writer. Still, I don't have that set-in-stone teacher career thing going on. So yeah, I'm trying not to get depressed right now.

    Still, I love you. A lot. And you're wonderful. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not done reading it yet but number one should not be entitled "I'm a nerd" it should be entitled "I'm a 5 year old in a 23 year old body"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! It makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really should not post those grades! Potential hirers might see them and THEY would gag!! ;+) Mom

    ReplyDelete