Monday, March 28, 2011

The thing I thought I'd never miss

Makin' Music.

When I graduated in December, I swore I would never care about coming back for Makin' Music. I would never miss the tacky costumes, five pounds of make-up, two hours of sleep, or the make-me-wanna-scream-and-cuss weekend they call retreat.

Well, less than 3 months later here I am... missing it.

It happened on Friday... A normal day in my life-- jobless and beach-full and I got on facebook like I do on average 836402 times a day. EVERYBODY and their mother's status was about Makin' Music retreat. Every status and/or tweet said something along the lines of how they will never survive the weekend, how their cast is the greatest, or how they can't wait to bring home a trophy. All of a sudden, out of completely nowhere, I wanted, more than anything, to be back at Freed. The place I was so ready to leave when I walked across the stage with my degree on December 17 now was the place I would give anything to go back to. I literally never thought this would happen to me.

I did Makin' Music for three years at Freed and even though I didn't participate in it my senior year, I still got to go and watch what hundreds of students had been putting all of their time and energy in to for months.

Here's a little trip down memory lane for all two of you that are probably reading this...


Freshman Year- Chi Beta Chi (Rockin' on the Subway)


Sophomore Year- Gamma Tau Omega (Online Love Connection)


Junior Year- Gamma Tau Omega (Something about lunch ladies)

If I had more than 34 pennies to my name right now, I would pack up my little Saturn and make the 24 hour round-trip drive to Freed, and I wouldn't think twice about it. Unfortunately for me, 34 cents in gas might would get me to the end of my driveway. (Let's be honest-- probably not even half-way)

Makin' Music is the most exhausting, frustrating, emotional, intense, incredible time of the school year and I just miss it right now. A lot.

I never thought my very first blog post would be about Makin' Music, but here it is.

4 comments:

  1. I want to go back too! I can't, though. :( I wish we could both teleport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'll be there, but it definitely won't be the same without errbody I know being there!!!!! I miss you SO much and wish we could go back in time to the Online Love Connection days and we'd become best friends and we'd be roommates in Italy and it would be SO MUCH FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you aren't allowed to judge the blog that's about to be launched. Yayyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes 3 people that read it.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete